Whether you like winter or favor the warmer months in Laurel, a lot of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a big impact on your monthly bills, but there are steps you can take to help lower those costs.
- Check weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Take advantage of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your space warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter routinely to see if it must be switched out. We recommend at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Install a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can fix temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. It’s just one way to be more efficient and help with energy costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have a sufficient amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Schedule routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs to have checkups, too. Hiring qualified technicians to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also catch small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to improve efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. The team at H&C Heating and Cooling can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the selection of newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are putting toward your energy costs, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you would like routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide more tips on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give H&C Heating and Cooling in Laurel a call to start down the right path. Give us a shout at 301-960-3247 or schedule an appointment with us online.