Spring is in the air here in Laurel and that means vacation plans are in your near future. While you’re figuring out what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what stays behind, your home. The H&C Heating and Cooling team has some helpful advice that will work to keep your home protected and help save some money on your utility bills while you enjoy a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an inexpensive way to make your home look as though you are home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a good idea to program your lights to coincide with your regular schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a trusted friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater peace of mind than a text while you’re out of town letting you know that everything at home is perfect.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to ask you not to share photos of your fabulous sabbatical on social media, but try to put it off until after you return to post anything about your trip. Family and friends probably already know you’re leaving so there’s no reason letting potential criminals know your itinerary. Everyone will be just as enchanted by the fantastic things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it more effortless than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical item is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An easy way to conserve energy while you’re out of town is to unplug some of your electronics. Something that you may not have thought of unplugging is your garage door. It will save you energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re on vacation there’s no need to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your usual level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some easy tips to add to your spring break prep list, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about safeguarding your home this season or want to discuss additional energy saving tips, give H&C Heating and Cooling in Laurel a call at 301-960-3247.