According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts should be cleaned at least once every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the length of time you’ve had your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence how long your ducts can go without cleaning. How can you tell if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signs that you should watch for.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are completely opened, do any have less airflow than others?
2. Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
3. Is there blockage inside your cold air return vent?
4. When you peek inside with a flashlight, is there a buildup of debris or fuzz from your pet’s hair?
5. Have bugs or rodents fashioned a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers driving out dust?
If you replied “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask H&C Heating and Cooling in Laurel about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are things you can do to maintain your ducts and extend the time between professional cleanings.
Most importantly, schedule periodic HVAC maintenance with the professionals at H&C Heating and Cooling. Annual inspection of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system working at peak performance. Inspecting your system on a regular basis and replacing the air filter when required will also help keep your ducts clean.
Additional ways you can help care for your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dust in from areas such as your attic.
• Check your air filters often and change them when required.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your house.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in poor or damp condition.
Keeping your ducts open will help you make sure the air in your Laurel home is clean. Make sure to use these preventative steps and schedule a professional duct cleaning regularly. Call the experts at H&C Heating and Cooling at 301-960-3247 or arrange an appointment online.